How Stemware Affects the Taste of Champagne
What type of glass to drink champagne in
Champagne, bubbly, sparkling wine, fizz—call it what you like—is a wine that is revered for its unique taste, texture, and being called on in the name of all things celebratory. When drinking champagne, did you know that the glass shape physically affects what we taste? The right glass can indeed enhance champagne’s natural qualities and make drinking it (who knew) even more enjoyable. Let’s explore how different shapes and sizes of stemware have an impact on the champagne experience.
Pro Tip: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now
What stemware is best to drink champagne in?
Here are our top picks (in order)
Pro Tip: The type of champagne makes a major difference in how its stemware impacts it
1. Oregon Pinot Glass or a White Wine Glass
*Depending on what type of champagne you’re drinking
Wide in the middle, narrow at the top
- Drinking champagne from a wider glass helps you experience more of the aromatic spectrum. You want it to be wider in the middle, and slightly narrower at the top.
White wine glass
- Champagne is best drunk from a white wine glass. The wider middle allows the aromas to come through, the narrower top controls the acidity.
Pinot noir glass for sparkling rosé
- Sparkling rosé is best from a Pinot Noir glass, and we specifically love an Oregon Pinot glass. The predominant grape in Rosé is Pinot Noir.
2. Tulip Glass
A tulip glass is essentially an upgraded champagne flute. The top curves in, and it’s better than a flute at funneling the champagne’s aroma toward the drinker’s nose.
- It keeps bubbles in, while trapping aromas. Talk about a multi-tasker. If you’re drinking a good champagne, you won’t fully taste or smell it. When you are drinking from a flute, you’re drinking, not savoring.
- Not every sparkling wine is meant to stand up to scrutiny. If you opt for a budget bottle or most cava, prosecco, or crémant, or if you are serving a group and need to preserve the carbonation for a longer period of time, a narrow champagne flute is a perfect choice. They’re classic and festive, great for a party.
- With the wide mouth of a coupe glass, champagne loses its carbonation very quickly and the aroma escapes too easily.
- The lack of depth means the bubbles are concentrated in the center, so they move slower, with less bursting at the rim.
- Coupes undoubtedly have that great “Gatsby” look, but for champagnes of today, which are more dry than sweet, a coupe is not the best choice.
All this said, the stemware you decide on depends on the occasion! Whichever option you choose should match the mood of the event, and ultimately how you want things to look.
Psst, looking to drink something other than champagne? Check out Our Top Mocktails to Make. Try any of these stemware recommendations and have yourself a stem-tasting party.
Pair with the following gatherings by Partytrick:
Membership has its party privileges! Discover your exclusive perks today
Shabbat Dinner Party
Hit pause and reconnect with loved ones this weekend with light, airy decor, warm bread, and relaxing company.
Hedonistic Holiday Party
More is definitely just right for this gathering. Call all your gods and goddesses to experience all the flavors any mortal palate can handle, inspired by DIO. This party is great for a holiday party, christmas party, or New Years Eve (NYE) party!
The Big Game
Game on! Gather your squad and cheer on your team with this quintessential football watch party.
Brunch with your besties to celebrate Galentine's, yes please!
Girls Just Want to Have Caviar and Martinis
The Caviar Co. inspired caviar, martinis, gal pals, games, great music… the perfect girls night in, with delicious small bites. This party is great year round!
Grab your girlfriends and gather for a Supper Club filled with low-abv cocktails, pizza, and cookies. This is our Head of Parties' favorite way to host with a small group and can easily be elevated (even if you decide to skip the cooking) to celebrate any occasion.
Cocktails with Aplos
Aplos cocktail hours are the most refreshing ways to “take the edge off” after a long day. Connect & create a memorable experience.
Comfort Food & Caviar Girl’s Night
Is there anything better than a fun girls night with caviar bumps and colorful cheer?!
Be Mine, Valentine
This crafty kids party is a great way to celebrate with your favorite littles.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.