Easy DIY Kids Costumes for Halloween
Top kids Halloween costume ideas
Trick of the year: Make them yourself
Halloween costume season is here again, and you're wondering what to don your little ones in this time around. Which is why we've compiled easy Halloween costume ideas that you can scrap together in no time for your kids. Whether dressing up one, or two or three, we've got ideas that are both timeless and pop culture-esque; ones that will make your friends laugh or your parents swoon. So dress them up, trick or treat, and go knock the socks off the neighborhood with these kids Halloween costume ideas.
Hey Members: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now.
Princess Bride: Buttercup & Westley
This beloved quest for love and rescuing the damsel is sure to satisfy any fairy tale hopes this Halloween. And if your kids contest or have other ideas, we can cross our fingers that eventually they’ll agree happily, and end with a clever, “As you wish.”
- Black kids outfit
- Adult black long sleeve shirt
- Black fabric
- Black bandana
- Black face mask
- Black duct tape
- Black string
- Black gloves
- Black boots
- Blonde mustache
- Fold the sleeves of black polo shirt in to create a triangular cuff. Cut the sleeves from an oversized black long sleeve shirt. Safety pin sleeves inside the shirt’s short sleeves.
- Cut a piece of fabric into a long rectangle, long enough to wrap twice around the waist for the sash belt.
- Secure string to the buttons and buttonholes of polo.
- Add cuffs to the top of boots with duct tape.
- Top things off with bandana, gloves, face mask, and blonde mustache.
- Cut out a long piece of red ribbon to create the belt.
- Decorate belt with strips of gold duct tape.
Hello, yellow brick road and get ready for your miniature rockstar to teach everyone why they call it the blues. Note: This one may go breaking hearts. And, it’s very minimal effort for a dreamboat result.
- Purple top
- White bottom
- Thick white cardstock or cardboard
- Colored or white feathers
- Stick-on rhinestones
- Optional, but will dress your child as your very own Rocket Man
- ~Baby sunglasses
- ~Baby keyboard
- Hot glue or double sided fabric tape
- Sketch an outline for wings on cardstock or cardboard. Cut wings out.
- Attach feathers to wings using hot glue or double sided fabric tape.
- Add stick-on rhinestones to the outfit and headband.
- Attach wings to bodysuit using double sided fabric tape or safety pins.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking mainly for the photo opp, sit your baby in a high chair or bouncer and secure the wings to the back of the chair. This way, no wings get clipped, and you get your photo.
Since Halloween is full of enough candy, why not dress your mini up as the Cookie Monster? This way, they’re fully prepped to defend their sweets, since it comes entirely natural to them in costume.
- Blue outfit
- (2) 1"-1.5" foam balls
- Black permanent marker
- Dark colored felt
- Cookie… we’d rec a toy cookie if you want it to last longer than 10 minutes.
Pro Tip: Attach the toy cookie to outfit with a clip… and give your little cookie monster one to munch on for the trouble you’re putting them through.
- Thread and needle or fabric tape and safety pins
- Hot glue gun
- Cut out two circles from the felt 3/4" across.
- Stitch the felt to the top of the hood with thread and needle, an inch apart. This is where the foam balls will stick.
- Heat up your hot glue gun. Apply a small amount of hot glue on top of each felt piece. Quickly stick a foam ball on top of each spot of glue.
- With your black marker, draw a small black dot ¼” wide for each pupil on each foam ball.
Pro Tip: Cookie Monster has crossed googly eyes that don't sit straight - they’re crooked which show everyone how crazy he is for cookies.
The varieties of Barbie that your little one can dress as this year is pretty much bottomless. So here’s one to spark your costuming.
- Pink kids outfit
- Pink satin fabric
- Blue vinyl
- Hem tape
- Hot glue
- Cut satin fabric into a long sash style strip.
- Fold and seal satin edges using hem tape. Fold sash in half and trim the bottom edge at an angle.
- Connect the two ends together using heat bonded hem tape to form a seam.
- Cut “President” letters out of blue vinyl and iron onto sash.
Alvin & the Chipmunks
What’s better than one of your babes in costume? If you’ve got three… all of them in outfits that play together, and take on characters of chipmunks, of course. This one’s oh so simple, and will keep you giggling for weeks. This one is as simple as it sounds, and when these three chipmunks show up together to trick or treat, you know the candy giver is going to load up on nuts to please this trio.
- Double sided fabric tape
- Cut out a large letter “A” from yellow felt and attach to the baby top or hoodie with double sided fabric tape.
- Add the red baseball cap, and Alvin is set.
- Pair the blue top or hoodie and black bottom with circle frame glasses.
Pro Tip: Old sunglasses laying around? Pop out the lenses and put them to work.
- Dress your babe in the green top and black bottoms.
For more DIY kids Halloween costumes, check out Primary.com
Spooky season is upon us, and it's time to dress your little one up (and yourself too!) Or maybe you're ahead of the game and have the costumes all set, and you're looking for festive things to do. Either way, Partytrick has you covered (in costume). Dress up and try one of these get-togethers by Partytrick:
Membership has its party privileges! Discover your exclusive perks today.
Be Mine, Valentine
This crafty kids party is a great way to celebrate with your favorite littles.
Brunch with your besties to celebrate Galentine's, yes please!
Girls Just Want to Have Caviar and Martinis
The Caviar Co. inspired caviar, martinis, gal pals, games, great music… the perfect girls night in, with delicious small bites. This party is great year round!
Shabbat Dinner Party
Hit pause and reconnect with loved ones this weekend with light, airy decor, warm bread, and relaxing company.
Comfort Food & Caviar Girl’s Night
Is there anything better than a fun girls night with caviar bumps and colorful cheer?!
Hedonistic Holiday Party
More is definitely just right for this gathering. Call all your gods and goddesses to experience all the flavors any mortal palate can handle, inspired by DIO. This party is great for a holiday party, christmas party, or New Years Eve (NYE) party!
The Big Game
Game on! Gather your squad and cheer on your team with this quintessential football watch party.
Grab your girlfriends and gather for a Supper Club filled with low-abv cocktails, pizza, and cookies. This is our Head of Parties' favorite way to host with a small group and can easily be elevated (even if you decide to skip the cooking) to celebrate any occasion.
Cocktails with Aplos
Aplos cocktail hours are the most refreshing ways to “take the edge off” after a long day. Connect & create a memorable experience.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.