Host a Party: Juneteenth
How to celebrate Juneteenth
June 19th, 2023
Juneteenth: The official holiday to celebrate the day in American history that the Civil War was officially announced over, freeing all enslaved people. Call it Freedom Day, Liberation Day, Emancipation Day, or America’s Second Indepence Day. On June 19th, we celebrate freedom for all in America.
This holiday is a meaningful time to gather with others in your community, reflect on the past, share hopes for the future, and celebrate freedom. Here’s how to prep for Juneteenth celebrations:
Savory, summery, and traditional. Did we mention delicious?
- Watermelon: What better way to walk into Summer Solstice? (June 21st)
- Collard greens
- Sweet potatoes
- Classic barbecue: Ribs, brisket, hot links
- Red velvet cake
Pro Tip: Make it a Take-Out Party! Support your local Black-owned restaurant and order from them.
Red-hued beverages in honor of the lives lost throughout slavery.
Turn up the mood of celebration with these themed decorations.
- Hanging paper fans
- Glitter banner
- Ceiling streamers
- Large yard & fence banner
- Juneteenth disposable paper cups 9 oz
To Listen To
Queue the funk, set the vibe, get the grooves going.
Did you know: The Pan-African flag’s colors mean:
- Red: Represents the bloodshed of African people over the course of history, especially in the time period when liberation was not recognized.
- Black: Signifies pride and strength, along with unifying the identity of African people worldwide.
- Green: Symbolizes hope and upcoming prosperity of the land and development of Africa.
To Do: Represent
Rep the celebration in colors
- Tie-dye T-shirts: Red, black, green, the colors of the Pan-African flag
- Temporary tattoos
- Find an event in your neighborhood to join in
To Play: Games
- Jump rope: For the kids
- Bingo: Featuring people, events, and symbols of Juneteenth history
- ~DIY or order these from Etsy
- Musical chairs: Double time with that funk music coming up in the playlists below, and get the laughs and flashback to childhood going.
To Involve the Kids
- Craft the Pan-African flag out of popsicle sticks
To Send Them Home With
So they can recall and reflect back on the fun of your Juneteenth party, and all that it means for history.
So celebrate Juneteenth with pride this year and all that it means for equality throughout the United States. Liberty and justice for all.
The Big Game
Game on! Gather your squad and cheer on your team with this quintessential football watch party.
Brunch with your besties to celebrate Galentine's, yes please!
Be Mine, Valentine
This crafty kids party is a great way to celebrate with your favorite littles.
Shabbat Dinner Party
Hit pause and reconnect with loved ones this weekend with light, airy decor, warm bread, and relaxing company.
Cocktails with Aplos
Aplos cocktail hours are the most refreshing ways to “take the edge off” after a long day. Connect & create a memorable experience.
Grab your girlfriends and gather for a Supper Club filled with low-abv cocktails, pizza, and cookies. This is our Head of Parties' favorite way to host with a small group and can easily be elevated (even if you decide to skip the cooking) to celebrate any occasion.
Girls Just Want to Have Caviar and Martinis
The Caviar Co. inspired caviar, martinis, gal pals, games, great music… the perfect girls night in, with delicious small bites. This party is great year round!
Comfort Food & Caviar Girl’s Night
Is there anything better than a fun girls night with caviar bumps and colorful cheer?!
Hedonistic Holiday Party
More is definitely just right for this gathering. Call all your gods and goddesses to experience all the flavors any mortal palate can handle, inspired by DIO. This party is great for a holiday party, christmas party, or New Years Eve (NYE) party!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.