Top Oktoberfest Party Ideas
Host a party for Oktoberfest
Bring Bavaria to your backyard
What to do for Oktoberfest 2023: We have you covered (in lederhosen, obviously). But do you know why Oktoberfest started? It all started in honor of celebrating a love story in Germany a long, long time ago. Back in 1810, on October 12th, Kronprinz Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. The royal wedding happened in Munich, Germany of course, which is where festivities began. Kronprinz went on to later become King Ludwig I of Bavaria, and it sounds like they lived happily ever after. And we now join in celebrating their love all over the world. Prost, to hosting an Oktoberfest party at home, in your neighborhoods, or wherever this fall finds you.
Hey Members: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now.
Three guesses and two don’t count.
- Beer! Oktoberfest beer!
- ~Hollow out a pumpkin and fill it with ice to make a pumpkin cooler
- Our friends at Brit + Co concocted this Sparkling Pumpkin Cider Beertail and we cannot wait to try it
The beer will need to be absorbed by something, so we recommend you start here.
- ~Here are great recipes from two of our favorites: Ashton Keefe and Half Baked Harvest.
- ~We also won’t tell anybody if you order these instead :)
- ~Or, turn it into a Pretzel Bar!
- Chicken Schnitzel aka German (and adult) chicken nuggets!
- Bratwurst In beer with onions - a familiar German meal with a bit of Midwestern twist
When your friends are running around donning braids and bearing steins, any bystander could identify your party. To take it to the next level, here’s your decor inspo.
Pro Tip: Scatter store bought mini pretzels and stalks of wheat down the table to enhance your tablescape!
- Drinkware: This is one party where the drinkware matters. Here are our suggestions for our favorite Oktoberfest glasses:
- ~Das Boot
- ~Glass beer mugs
- ~Extra points for throwing these in the freezer to create frosted beer glasses!
- Oktoberfest themed drink coozies? Yes please.
- Deck the halls with Oktoberfest banners!
- ~This is a fun and easy DIY! Here’s a great how-to
- ~Bavarian pennant decorations - Amazon
Pro Tip: Maximize your Partytrick membership and save with Member Perks at placed like Bonjour Fete for their Oktoberfest banner
- Go all out with an Oktoberfest tablecloth, or use a runner if you just want a hint of Bavarian flare on your table
- Use these plates to serve everything up
We’d say “attire encouraged” but… we all know it’s more fun if it’s their required ticket at the door. When in… Munich?
- Encourage guests to go all-out with dirndl and lederhosen, or give them the option to come in just a checkered shirt. Either way, use this guide to learn all about the traditional Oktoberfest fashions.
- Some hair inspo to go with every look!
- Oktoberfest nail art
Turn up these festive playlists to prost to:
Besides drink beer and flaunt your lederhosen, you mean? A few themed activities to add a bit of extra fest to the party.
- There are only six breweries that can serve beer at the official Oktoberfest festival. Host a beer tasting with the different types of ales for everybody to try in these glasses!
- Set up an Oktoberfest photobooth with these fun props
We don’t make the Oktoberfest rules, but here are a few games that are sure to get a laugh from your guests… especially after a few pints.
- Masskrugstemmen: a German beer stein holding contest
- Hammerschlagen: a game in which participants drive nails into wood…
- Stein racing: Guests will need to run a designated length and back while carrying a liter stein full of beer without spilling. The person who ends the race with the most beer in their mug is the winner!
So come one, come all, whether your friends are beer drinkers or just looking for a reason to hail in the start of fall and all the festivities it brings. “Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit”. Apparently it translates somewhat to: “a toast to well-being”. Aka, go have fun and be well.
Party like never before! Dive into your member perks now.
Be Mine, Valentine
This crafty kids party is a great way to celebrate with your favorite littles.
The Big Game
Game on! Gather your squad and cheer on your team with this quintessential football watch party.
Brunch with your besties to celebrate Galentine's, yes please!
Hedonistic Holiday Party
More is definitely just right for this gathering. Call all your gods and goddesses to experience all the flavors any mortal palate can handle, inspired by DIO. This party is great for a holiday party, christmas party, or New Years Eve (NYE) party!
Shabbat Dinner Party
Hit pause and reconnect with loved ones this weekend with light, airy decor, warm bread, and relaxing company.
Cocktails with Aplos
Aplos cocktail hours are the most refreshing ways to “take the edge off” after a long day. Connect & create a memorable experience.
Grab your girlfriends and gather for a Supper Club filled with low-abv cocktails, pizza, and cookies. This is our Head of Parties' favorite way to host with a small group and can easily be elevated (even if you decide to skip the cooking) to celebrate any occasion.
Comfort Food & Caviar Girl’s Night
Is there anything better than a fun girls night with caviar bumps and colorful cheer?!
Girls Just Want to Have Caviar and Martinis
The Caviar Co. inspired caviar, martinis, gal pals, games, great music… the perfect girls night in, with delicious small bites. This party is great year round!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.